Starting out!

Monday, April 26, 2010




This is the start of a week long blog week hosted by Eskimimi Knits.

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

I began crocheting around the age of 5. My dad asked an older woman to teach my mother and me. I remember my great-grandmother crocheting as a child and I have many of her blankets. I crocheted lots of crochet booties that were basically rectangles that I sewed up. I was ambitious at that age even with some Red Heart---I wanted to crochet a blanket in candy apple red and white. Needless to say that it didn't get very far. I didn't pick up the hooks again consistently until I discovered real patterns that were new exciting and updated around the time that I learned to knit.

I learned to knit when I was 17 and my Latin teacher taught me. She even let me skip class one day to go to a yarn/needlepoint store about a block away from my high school. I knit like 30 scarves that year almost all of them with fringe and cheap cheap yarn. The ones I have given to a select few of my family still wear them even though I cringe when I see them. I also learned how to cable and knit in the round. I made many hats as well. I got made fun of by my family and some pals that didn't knit but now I have them begging for items;)

I have dabbled in many other craft mediums: beadwork, painting, papermaking, calligraphy, sewing, paper mache...well you get the idea. I really feel connected to my knitting and crochet. I love wearing things that I have made and I like giving them as gifts even those who don't really understand the love and care that goes into making something. Check out Knitterella's gift labels here and they are perfect for those sort of people.

0 comments:

 
Woolen Obessions - by Templates para novo blogger